SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Google Earth and ski area viewing (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=12408)

Paul-S8 February 8th 06 10:53 AM

Google Earth and ski area viewing

Has anyone tried google earth to vie a ski area yet?

I have known about the Sat images of the earth for a while. Back when
microsoft had its terra server up and running and then google got in on the
deal the problem was it was very low resolution images. Just recently Google
earth has added alot of new hi res scans. when I recently went on I noticed
they had the whole of west yorkshire updated. It wasn't long before I
started to look at the ski areas, damn low res but I noticed on the version
of google earth that you download you can tilt the map and view the contours
of the mountain. This is very cool, you can zoom in rotate and almost 'fly'
through the valleys.

Anyhow, I just happened to zoom into andorra and found that it was hires
images. when you zoom in you can see the pistes, lifts and even some people
and if you use your imagination you can even spot the odd mogul field.

if you haven't already got it check it out here
http://earth.google.com/

and then try (copy and paste the following position into the search box)

42°31'48.93"N, 1°27'33.05"E

Truely impressive stuff!!!!

Cheers
Paul

cupra February 8th 06 11:49 AM

Paul-S8 wrote:
[...]

I've never thought of using it for ski resorts! Really cool when you change
the viewing angle!!

Walter Wright February 8th 06 12:29 PM

"Paul-S8" wrote in message
Has anyone tried google earth to vie a ski area yet?

I carry a Garmin GPS with me while skiing. Amongst other things it records a
daily "track" of where I've been. On returning home I can upload these
tracks into Mapsource (a program that manages Garmin maps, waypoints, tracks
etc.) and view the tracks on a map. With the latest Mapsource there is an
option to "View in Google Earth" which launches GE then displays the tracks
in the appropriate place. You can then use GE to replay the tracks as a
"fly-by". Its quite neat although all of my tracks are in the French Alps
which are still very low resolution, and the GE images were taken in the
summer so there's not much snow about either. You get a pretty accurate idea
of the terrain though, especially if you exaggerate it a little in the
Options page (multiply by about 1.5 looks quite good).

The Andorra images look really great!

Walter

Paul-S8 February 8th 06 12:56 PM

"Walter Wright" wrote in message

"Paul-S8" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, just wow, I didn't think it could get much better.

I have a garmin but won't be using it this year as I am trying the skido
think for my smartphone but I am hoping that I can do something with the
track data along the same lines. I think I will even suggest it to the skido
developers!!!!

Paul

John Wilcock February 8th 06 01:20 PM

Walter Wright wrote:
The Andorra images look really great!

There's also some hires imaging for the Turin Olympic resorts
(Sestriere, Bardonecchia, etc.) that looks to have been added fairly
recently (and hastily - there's a narrow missing strip close to Cesana,
and a rather overexposed frame around Claviere).

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages - www.tradoc.fr

John Elgy February 8th 06 09:59 PM

Does this mean you can avoid paying the $20 for Google Earth Plus?

The 3D view allows you to get a good idea of ho the Ski resorts relate
to one another and how the mountain paths (for summer walks) can be
used. For example it is very straightforward to see the off piste route
from Tignes to Champagny.

I have been unable to work out how to take tracks traced on Google Earth
and import them into a GPS receiver as waypoints etc.

Though it uses map data as opposed to remote sensed data, IGN in France
does digital maps that link to GPS (these are georectified scanned
copies of the 1:25000 maps). The British company, memory map, claims to
offer similar; plus 3D fly thoughs and higher resolution aerial
photography in its premier edition. I have not tested the Alps version,
but I like the one for the UK, especially the cross section profiles and
the ability to see how much 'vertical' you have done in a day.

If anyone has some more experience of this software for skiing I would
like to read about it.

John

[email protected] February 9th 06 06:19 AM

Wow, just wow, I didn't think it could get much better.

I have a garmin but won't be using it this year as I am trying the skido
think for my smartphone but I am hoping that I can do something with the
track data along the same lines. I think I will even suggest it to the skido
developers!!!!

Interesting, which Garmin do you have?

Ace February 9th 06 10:20 AM

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:55:34 -0000, "Paul-S8"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Wow, just wow, I didn't think it could get much better.

I have a garmin but won't be using it this year as I am trying the skido
think for my smartphone but I am hoping that I can do something with the
track data along the same lines. I think I will even suggest it to the
skido
developers!!!!

Interesting, which Garmin do you have?

Garmin Legend

When I was in Tignes over xmas one of the tour reps was running a
little sideline where he'd lend you a small GPS receiver/recorder[1]
which he'd then take back and use to produce a complete plot,
displayed in several different ways, of your skiing for the day,
including speed, rate of descent, distance covered, etc. etc. He was
then laminating them and suggesting they could be used as placemats.
Charged about 20 EU each, IIRC.

[1] no idea what model it was, but it could be worn on your arm.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Norman February 9th 06 10:38 AM

"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:55:34 -0000, "Paul-S8"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
Ski Club.

Any idea roughly what speed an intermediate skier will be reaching in an
average day's piste bashing?

According to my Garmin I peaked at 55mph in Morzine last week but that was
in a racing tuck at the end of a long red. My friend, a much better skiier
than me, thought that skiers only reach about 30mph and still reckoned the
reading was wrong when he borrowed the garmin and hit 58mph.

Ace February 9th 06 10:54 AM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

When I was in Tignes over xmas one of the tour reps was running a
little sideline where he'd lend you a small GPS receiver/recorder[1]
which he'd then take back and use to produce a complete plot,
displayed in several different ways, of your skiing for the day,
including speed, rate of descent, distance covered, etc. etc. He was
then laminating them and suggesting they could be used as placemats.
Charged about 20 EU each, IIRC.

snip

Any idea roughly what speed an intermediate skier will be reaching in an
average day's piste bashing?

Some of the group I was talking to had topped 70mph, but they were
definitely not in the 'intermediate' category. I'd skiied with them
with the Ski Club rep the day before and, while not actually
struggling to keep up, I certainly wasn't hanging about. Of course, on
neither day were they specifically trying to go balls-out fast. If
they/we had, I suspect higher speeds might have been acheived.

According to my Garmin I peaked at 55mph in Morzine last week but that was
in a racing tuck at the end of a long red. My friend, a much better skiier
than me, thought that skiers only reach about 30mph and still reckoned the
reading was wrong when he borrowed the garmin and hit 58mph.

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Norman February 9th 06 10:56 AM

"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

Ta.

cupra February 9th 06 12:06 PM

Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

Ta.

Don't attempt to match him heading home from the Mooserwirt after closing!

BrritSki February 9th 06 12:09 PM

Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather than
cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on your
face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure I've hit
at least double that speed on skis.

Norman February 9th 06 12:28 PM

" cupra" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

Ta.

Don't attempt to match him heading home from the Mooserwirt after closing!

I won't. He hasn't had a drop for ten years. He does get through some skunk
though which I thought might help my skiing on a particurlarly steep red so
gave it a go. I just lay down beside the piste and slept for an hour. He
later told me it was called Coma.

All previous attempts to keep up with him have ended in spectacular spills.
The only thing that saves me is that he's totally unfit and has to stop
every few minutes so we usually get to the bottom within about 30 secs of
each other as I'm only semi-unfit.

cupra February 9th 06 01:01 PM

Norman wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

Ta.

Don't attempt to match him heading home from the Mooserwirt after
closing!

I won't. He hasn't had a drop for ten years. He does get through some
skunk though which I thought might help my skiing on a particurlarly
steep red so gave it a go. I just lay down beside the piste and slept
for an hour. He later told me it was called Coma.

lol - don't do that at -30 though!

All previous attempts to keep up with him have ended in spectacular
spills. The only thing that saves me is that he's totally unfit and
has to stop every few minutes so we usually get to the bottom within
about 30 secs of each other as I'm only semi-unfit.

My problems my knees - they only allow me 1/2 day of full on boarding these
days before I have to take it a little easier! (next holiday is planned for
NZ next August so plenty of time to get them seen to!)

Norman February 9th 06 01:20 PM

" cupra" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Good luck. I know a particularly attractive seasonaire who'll be in NZ in
August.

Is boarding harder or easier on the knees do you think?

Tendonitis in my knee made me stop playing football a few years ago and it
flares up if I do much running, but to my eternal joy and amazement it
doesn't seem to mind skiing at all. Phew.

cupra February 9th 06 01:34 PM

Norman wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message

snip

My problems my knees - they only allow me 1/2 day of full on boarding
these days before I have to take it a little easier! (next holiday is
planned for NZ next August so plenty of time to get them seen to!)

Good luck. I know a particularly attractive seasonaire who'll be in
NZ in August.

Is boarding harder or easier on the knees do you think?

Tendonitis in my knee made me stop playing football a few years ago
and it flares up if I do much running, but to my eternal joy and
amazement it doesn't seem to mind skiing at all. Phew.

Seems to be easier on mine - although I haven't put on skis for about 6
years now so not sure if they'd hurt more or less!

Ace February 9th 06 02:24 PM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:09:15 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

Hah, I've seen 50 on mine. Only once, mind, but I regularly used to
get over 40. I too have used this as a comparitive measure for skiing
speed.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather than
cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on your
face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure I've hit
at least double that speed on skis.

Aye. Thankfully snow is not normally as abrasive as tarmac.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

cupra February 9th 06 02:24 PM

BrritSki wrote:
Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall :)

cupra February 9th 06 02:25 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

Hah, I've seen 50 on mine. Only once, mind, but I regularly used to
get over 40. I too have used this as a comparitive measure for skiing
speed.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Aye. Thankfully snow is not normally as abrasive as tarmac.

Although sometimes just as hard when it's icy!

BrritSki February 10th 06 07:57 AM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout was
correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

Hah, I've seen 50 on mine. Only once, mind, but I regularly used to
get over 40. I too have used this as a comparitive measure for skiing
speed.

When I was young and foolish I spent most Sundays touring with the CTC
and I'll never forget the time we were cycling out of Stow-on-the-Wold
and overtook a car as we went down the long hill. We all looked at his
speedo which read 40. The look on the driver's face as a pack of a dozen
or so cyclists went by him was priceless.

I'm sure that with the hills round here above Sanremo I could hit even
more than 40, but now I'm old and not quite so foolish :)

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather than
cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on your
face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure I've hit
at least double that speed on skis.

Aye. Thankfully snow is not normally as abrasive as tarmac.

Exactly.

BrritSki February 10th 06 07:58 AM

cupra wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall :)

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising :)

cupra February 10th 06 08:20 AM

BrritSki wrote:
cupra wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall :)

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising :)

Same here - only time I tend to fall is when I attemp stoopid jumps and
rails!

cupra February 10th 06 10:23 AM

Norman wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message

snip
Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall :)

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising
:)

Same here - only time I tend to fall is when I attemp stoopid jumps
and rails!

I always seem to fall within about 3 seconds of saying to myself,
'damn, I've sure got the hang of this skiiing lark now'.

Yep - that seems familiar!

Paul-S8 February 10th 06 11:35 AM

When I was young and foolish I spent most Sundays touring with the CTC and
I'll never forget the time we were cycling out of Stow-on-the-Wold and
overtook a car as we went down the long hill. We all looked at his speedo
which read 40. The look on the driver's face as a pack of a dozen or so
cyclists went by him was priceless.

Once went mountainbiking around pen-y-gent and there is a road with a hill
there that is dead straight and goes on for a bit and is supposed to be one
of the only places where cyclists can exceed the national speed limit (60 on
single lane roads). I myself got upto about 40 but the bike didn't like
speed too much and I didn't fancy going any quicker. One of the guys that
was with us went for it and put it in top gear and peadeld down as fast as
he could and got to 58mph. No cars about though but we were all amazed by
his speed.

Paul

Alex Heney February 10th 06 11:53 AM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:58:16 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

cupra wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

Norman wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
m...

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:38:42 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

(snip)

Speeds of up to 100mph are recorded on some of the faster Downhill
events on the World Cup circuit, so I'd suspect that your readout
was correct and that your friend was misinformed.

Excellent. I'll forward this to him in that case.

I would agree with Ace. My push-bike has a fairly accurate (I think)
speedometer and I occasionally hit 30mph on it down a steep hill.

That seems fast on a bike, but if you imagine you're skiing rather
than cycling and look around at how fast things go by, wind feel on
your face, where you could turn etc., it seems very slow - I'm sure
I've hit at least double that speed on skis.

Kind of explains why it's so painful when you fall :)

Haven't fallen at high speed for quite a while now thankfully, which
considering how much time I spend at high speed is quite surprising :)

I had a real doozy in the Dolomites last month :-(

I'm not sure how fast I was going, but it was faster than I intended,
and faster than I can really cope with safely :-(

I went over on my front, and left skis and poles strewn 50 yards up
the slope. Bruised ribs was my only injury, and not too badly
bruised.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The road to success is always under construction.

Adrian D. Shaw February 10th 06 01:48 PM

Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
My problems my knees - they only allow me 1/2 day of full on boarding
these days before I have to take it a little easier! (next holiday is
planned for NZ next August so plenty of time to get them seen to!)

Good luck. I know a particularly attractive seasonaire who'll be in NZ in
August.

Is boarding harder or easier on the knees do you think?

Tendonitis in my knee made me stop playing football a few years ago and it
flares up if I do much running, but to my eternal joy and amazement it
doesn't seem to mind skiing at all. Phew.

If that's the same thing as Cyclist's knee, then yes I suffer too. Used to
often go cycling 100+ miles a day, apparently I overused my knees. It does
cause problems at times on long walks, but like you it never causes a problem
skiing.

I only tried snowboarding twice, in the days before soft boot. But the
second time my knees didn't like it. Maybe Cupra should switch to skiing?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.

cupra February 10th 06 01:50 PM

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
[...]

I skied for 10 years before boarding - boarding (was) far easier on my knees
until recently!

Norman February 10th 06 01:56 PM

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
[...]

Everyone should switch to skiing.

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the boarder/skier
ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people moving were skiers and
all the people boarding were sat down somewhere in the middle of the piste.

It was roughly around 20:1.

cupra February 10th 06 02:02 PM

" cupra" wrote in message
[...]

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is :)

Ace February 10th 06 02:08 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:02:41 -0000, " cupra"
wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is :)

Rubbish. When doing serious off-piste routes, it's quite rare to see
boarders, as there tends to be at least a bit of poleing, long
traverses and flat terrain. I know a few guys that would be happy
doing this sort of thing on boards, but the vast majority that you see
slightly off-piste don't tend to venture much further afield.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Norman February 10th 06 02:12 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is :)

Haven't done much off piste yet. From my limited understanding it seems
having one great fat plank between your legs instead of two skinny ones
might be an advantage in deep powder?

Should I rephrase that?

Rubbish. When doing serious off-piste routes, it's quite rare to see
boarders, as there tends to be at least a bit of poleing, long
traverses and flat terrain. I know a few guys that would be happy
doing this sort of thing on boards, but the vast majority that you see
slightly off-piste don't tend to venture much further afield.

Changing the subject slightly, I can't help thinking that someone cleverer
than me could make a lot of money for inventing some little outboard motor
for skis or board that could kick in on flat bits or when wanting to go back
uphill without the need of a lift.

Feel free to nick my idea but I would like ten per cent.

Norman February 10th 06 02:13 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is :)

Rubbish.

Tongue in cheek - hence the smiley!

When doing serious off-piste routes, it's quite rare to see
boarders, as there tends to be at least a bit of poleing, long
traverses and flat terrain. I know a few guys that would be happy
doing this sort of thing on boards, but the vast majority that you see
slightly off-piste don't tend to venture much further afield.

I was seriously looking at a split board myself the other day in Banff
before my better half reminded me we're about to buy a Rayburn!

What's wrong with an Aga?

cupra February 10th 06 02:18 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

I've thought about that myself, but I think the mass of kit would
outweigh(!) the advantage!

cupra February 10th 06 02:19 PM

Norman wrote:
wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

Don't mind either - ebay seems to have a larger percentage of Rayburns for
sale at the moment, and I have to get cracking before building regs change!

Ace February 10th 06 02:23 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio.

It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is :)

Haven't done much off piste yet. From my limited understanding it seems
having one great fat plank between your legs instead of two skinny ones
might be an advantage in deep powder?

If you've seen the latest generation of 'freeride' skis you'll realise
that a pair of them is almost as wide as a snowboard, which with the
extra length will give them as much 'float' as a board.

It does, of course, demand more skill, but then that's just another
way in which we can feel all superior ;-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Alex Heney February 10th 06 02:34 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:13:29 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

It depends on what you want it for.

They are the same company, and generally Rayburns include Central
Heating capacity (some don't), while Agas are just cookers.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.

Norman February 10th 06 02:34 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

Agas can also run your hot water. Not sure about the heating.