SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   boarding on sand dunes (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=8261)

dave February 11th 05 10:28 AM

boarding on sand dunes

we rarely get snow where i live, but do however have some moderate sand
dunes within easy reach. how badly does riding sand destroy the board? is it
a case of getting a board purely to ride dunes or would a good service sort
it out prior to riding snow again? i appreciate that sand is abrasive so i'm
guessing it's get a board exclusively for sand use.
would be interested in the experiences of those who've tried riding sand.

[email protected] February 11th 05 07:28 PM

1) It's slow unless the dune is REALLY steep & you go right down the
fall line.
2) If you do it a lot, the board bottom sands right away. My dune is
silica sand (Lake Michigan), really sharp hard on boards.
3) Mushy edge transtions will take you down; you have to really torque
if you're turning.
4) It's brutal climbing to the top; for every step up, you settle back
downward about 1/2 a step.
5) If it's the only steep you got, ride it. Riding's better than not
riding.

dave February 13th 05 10:28 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
1) It's slow unless the dune is REALLY steep & you go right down the
fall line.
2) If you do it a lot, the board bottom sands right away. My dune is
silica sand (Lake Michigan), really sharp hard on boards.
3) Mushy edge transtions will take you down; you have to really torque
if you're turning.
4) It's brutal climbing to the top; for every step up, you settle back
downward about 1/2 a step.
5) If it's the only steep you got, ride it. Riding's better than not
riding.

thanks kurt. have only just started boarding so figured it might be worth a
go to keep the hand in without resorting to the dry slope.