SkiBanter

-   Backcountry Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   isn't snowboarding better? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=13253)

liv April 12th 06 05:48 PM

isn't snowboarding better?

sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at. then
again i haven't really been skiing before, i mean, i attempted it once
when i was ten and cried the whole time. any suggestions on making a
transition from boarding to skiing?

Eugene Miya April 12th 06 06:12 PM

In article .com,
liv wrote:
sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at. ...
again i haven't really been skiing before, i mean, i attempted it once
when i was ten and cried the whole time. any suggestions on making a
transition from boarding to skiing?

Yes.
Try boarding up hill.

Peter Clinch April 12th 06 07:00 PM

liv wrote:
sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at. then
again i haven't really been skiing before, i mean, i attempted it once
when i was ten and cried the whole time. any suggestions on making a
transition from boarding to skiing?

In the backcountry, as others have said, go somewhere that involves
along and/or up and you'll see where skis just work a lot better.

On the pistes, you may find you get a similar carving feeling if
you learn proper parallel carving (you may not, but it's an
idea...). And telemarking is just that bit different and might
push your buttons if you like to be different (for every few
hundred boarders and skiers on a piste you'll see a few
telemarkers, it's harder but if you put in the effort it's very
easy to stand out from the crowds).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

lal_truckee April 12th 06 09:11 PM

liv wrote:
sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at.

OK, I'll bite. Where exactly is it at?

Eugene Miya April 12th 06 09:34 PM

liv wrote:
sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at.

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:
OK, I'll bite. Where exactly is it at?

Vail.

Kurt Knisely April 13th 06 09:21 PM

(Eugene Miya) wrote in news:443d4314$1@darkstar:

In article .com,
liv wrote:
sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at. ...
again i haven't really been skiing before, i mean, i attempted it once
when i was ten and cried the whole time. any suggestions on making a
transition from boarding to skiing?

Yes.
Try boarding up hill.

This seems to be fairly popular in the Wasatch (not alot of undulating
terrain, you're goin' straight up):

http://www.voile-usa.com/splthdr01.html

It's the "AT" of snowboarding, although they have a freeheel. If I was
going to snowboard (hah!), I'd git me one of them there Voile Swallowtails.

-K

Eugene Miya April 14th 06 02:19 AM

In article .com,
liv wrote:
sure skiing is a good time. but snowboarding is where it's at. ...
again i haven't really been skiing before, i mean, i attempted it once
when i was ten and cried the whole time. any suggestions on making a
transition from boarding to skiing?

(Eugene Miya) wrote in news:443d4314$1@darkstar:
Try boarding up hill.

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
This seems to be fairly popular in the Xxxxx
http://www.voile-usa.com/splthdr01.html
It's the "AT" of snowboarding, although they have a freeheel. If I was
going to snowboard (hah!), I'd git me one of them there Voile Swallowtails.

Sure. I've seen split boards. I've also seen a lot of boarders carry or
wear snow shoes. I don't care which techniques you use to get down.
I care less if a person not on my trip carries extra weight.
The main thing is to take one's time fiddling with board ski up or down.

But to match your uphill, I think it was one of the Duckboy books
which has the rocket powered toboggan.

Simon Isbister April 15th 06 04:42 PM

"Eugene Miya" wrote in message

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
This seems to be fairly popular in the Xxxxx
http://www.voile-usa.com/splthdr01.html
It's the "AT" of snowboarding, although they have a freeheel. If I was
going to snowboard (hah!), I'd git me one of them there Voile
Swallowtails.

Sure. I've seen split boards. I've also seen a lot of boarders carry or
wear snow shoes.

I've started to see more of those mini approach skis (I think dynafit makes
one that only comes in 130 cm) being marketed to snowboarders. Ski up,
board down. Seems like alot of weight, no matter how light the skis are.

-s-

Champ April 15th 06 04:56 PM

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:42:13 GMT, "Simon Isbister"
wrote:

I've started to see more of those mini approach skis (I think dynafit makes
one that only comes in 130 cm) being marketed to snowboarders. Ski up,
board down. Seems like alot of weight, no matter how light the skis are.

I looked into them myself, as I was tired of hiking in snowshoes, and
was running out of money for helicopters :-)

However, everyone who'd used them said the really didn't work very
well - too little surface area meant they sank too far, and were
barely any less work than snowshoes.
--
Champ

Simon Isbister April 15th 06 07:50 PM

"Champ" wrote in message

However, everyone who'd used them said the really didn't work very
well - too little surface area meant they sank too far, and were
barely any less work than snowshoes.

Yeah- in alot of situations, going up on skins seems not too different (in
terms of speed and energy) than snowshoeing. Its the downhill portions of
the trip that make skis a far more efficient means of travel than snowshoes.
So, if you are going to be taking the skis off and putting on a board
anyways... why not snowshoe?