SkiBanter

-   North American Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Mexico Ski advise (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=2060)

John Watson January 5th 04 02:16 PM

New Mexico Ski advise

My wife and I are in our late 50's are planning to ski again after a
10 year lapse and are looking for a less challenging area with open
slopes and a minimum of overly aggressive skiers. We are planning on
going to Red River because we can also cross country ski, we love New
Mexico, and accomodations are affordable. Does this make sense? Any
other suggestions?

Thanks
John

Lew January 20th 04 11:25 PM

New Mexico Ski advise

Hi John

Don't know where you are locatted but I'm a beginner from TX (4 trips;
several days each) & I love Wolf Creek Pass, CO. It's not a resort but a
ski area with lots of snow. We stay at South Fork which offers no night
life (they roll up the streets for practical purposes at dark) but the
accomodations are reasonable & I like the drive (approximately 20 miles) to
the ski area better than the drive from Pagosa Springs (about the same
distance). We stay at Comfort Inn in SF. We were there the week before
Christmas; no lines at the lifts. I'm 61.

I think I saw a sign about cross country skiing there but you might need to
call the toll free number as I don't recall seeing it mentioned on the
website (wolfcreekski.com)

For a few more opinions you can also check out the forum on RSN.

If you'd like to see pix from our trip email me back channel & I'll set it
up so you can view them; they're already on the web on a private site.

Email is bcl at grandecom dot net.

Lew in TX