SkiBanter

-   Backcountry Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Parachuting avalanche rescue dog!?!? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=17644)

AES July 5th 08 03:14 PM

Parachuting avalanche rescue dog!?!?

Maybe others have encountered this previously, but new to me:

http://www.gipfeltreffen.at/showthread.php?p=362409#poststop
(you have to scroll quite a ways down)

Photographs and story of several skiers caught in an avalanche on a
steep face in the [Swiss?] Alps in 1960, and subsequent rescue attempts.

Meine German ist sehr schlecht, aber rescue efforts seem to have
included three avalanche rescue personnel parachuting onto the slope,
one of them linked to a simultaneously parachuting avalanche rescue dog!
(and one of them coming down in a valley on the wrong side of the ridge
and having to trek an hour and half to get to the site).

Also a "Piper Cup" which appears to have landed (sideways?) on a 30
degree slope on or near the scene to deliver rescuers and another dog.

So far as I can gather, there were no successful rescues or survivors
among the original skiers (??).