SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ski boots as hand baggage (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=8224)

Paul Clifford February 9th 05 06:34 PM

Ski boots as hand baggage

We are for the first time flying on Saturday with our own ski boots.
They are inside ski boot bags and I was wondering if airlines allow
you to take them on as your hand baggage. I never normally carry
anything on other than a book and passport, and have not taken the
slightest bit of notice on previous flights.
For what it is worth we are flying with BMIBaby to Geneva. I have
tried to find out direct from them but they weren't overly helpful.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Snorer February 9th 05 07:45 PM

Recent flight to Geneva with easyjet one of my party wanted to carry on a
boot bag. Was told that it could be used as a weapon and was refused. I
don't know why he wanted to any way I would have thought it was more trouble
than it was worth.

Snorer.

om...

Roger Moss February 9th 05 10:04 PM

Ski boots are tough things (they have to be)...

Ours have had no problems travelling as hold luggage in their pretty
ordinary lightweight Rossignol boot-bags at the hands of Canadian Airlines,
Air France, even BA - if you're in any doubt, why not pack socks, hats,
gloves, etc. in the bags around the boots? Works for us.

RM

Carl_M February 9th 05 11:53 PM

(Paul Clifford) wrote in message . com...
We are for the first time flying on Saturday with our own ski boots.
They are inside ski boot bags and I was wondering if airlines allow
you to take them on as your hand baggage. I never normally carry
anything on other than a book and passport, and have not taken the
slightest bit of notice on previous flights.
For what it is worth we are flying with BMIBaby to Geneva. I have
tried to find out direct from them but they weren't overly helpful.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last year I flew with BMI (not baby), they said on the phone that
their policy was that "ski boots can not be carried as hand baggage,
nor can they be worn on the aircraft (!)" chances are BMI baby is the
same.

While boots are expensive they are fairly rugged and if they go on a
detour you can hire for the first day. I tend to take what I could
last 24 hours with in the cabin. This would be something like a
couple of sets of thermal bottoms a thermal top, a pair of ski socks
and waterproof trousers. I can ski with that and what I wear
travelling. I would also take fragile items like goggles.

Switters February 10th 05 07:23 AM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:45:04 GMT, "Snorer"
allegedly wrote:

Was told that it could be used as a weapon and was refused.

Virtually anything could be used as a weapon. A ski boot is pretty
unwieldy though. Why don't they just tranquillise everyone as soon as
they step into the departure lounge?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

John DH February 10th 05 07:33 AM

Because in the event of an evacuation wearing the boots severley resrict
your mobility, the boots will also tear the slide.

[email protected] February 10th 05 12:08 PM

Paul Clifford wrote:
We are for the first time flying on Saturday with our own ski boots.
They are inside ski boot bags and I was wondering if airlines allow
you to take them on as your hand baggage. I never normally carry
anything on other than a book and passport, and have not taken the
slightest bit of notice on previous flights.
For what it is worth we are flying with BMIBaby to Geneva. I have
tried to find out direct from them but they weren't overly helpful.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

My ski boots in their bag are on the edge of the weight limit for hand
luggage. Add on my other bits of hand luggage (eg. my toilet bag, a
book, a newspaper, a bottle of water) and they are too heavy. So they
go in the hold.

Snorer February 10th 05 02:51 PM

Oh you were the one who read my last posting re stinkfoot problems.

"Rob White" wrote in message
Was told that it could be used as a weapon and was refused!!

Are they suggesting that you have very pongy feet?

Rob

Scott Whitehead February 10th 05 07:10 PM

wrote in message oups.com...
Paul Clifford wrote:
We are for the first time flying on Saturday with our own ski boots.
They are inside ski boot bags and I was wondering if airlines allow
you to take them on as your hand baggage. I never normally carry
anything on other than a book and passport, and have not taken the
slightest bit of notice on previous flights.
For what it is worth we are flying with BMIBaby to Geneva. I have
tried to find out direct from them but they weren't overly helpful.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

My ski boots in their bag are on the edge of the weight limit for hand
luggage. Add on my other bits of hand luggage (eg. my toilet bag, a
book, a newspaper, a bottle of water) and they are too heavy. So they
go in the hold.

I took ski boots on as cabin baggage during a long weekend to Cervinia
a couple of years back. We flew into Turin on Ryanair and the bag was
right on the cabin limit (about 15kg from memory). Had all my skiing
gear, clothes and toiletries (down to the exact amount of toothpaste,
shampoo etc) in so I could skip the carousel and make a run for it to
the car hire desk to make the most of my two days of skiing.
I had no idea the boots would be regarded as a dangerous weapon!!