SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Telling time on the slopes (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=14881)

[email protected] January 22nd 07 02:36 PM

Telling time on the slopes

Department of trivialities: Those of you who like to keep track of the
time when you're on the slopes -- how do you do it? I can't wear a
wris****ch because I wear long gloves with wrist protectors underneath.
It's impractical to place a watch in a warm interior pocket because
getting it out would require too much unzipping and fumbling. What I do
is put it in an exterior jacket pocket high on my chest, where it's
least likely to get banged when I wipe out. I can take it out for a
glance fairly easily, but I'm concerned that exposure to the cold (the
outer pocket is not insulated) may eventually damage it.

Joe Ramirez

Bullfinch January 22nd 07 02:41 PM

Telling time on the slopes

I check the time as I board the lift. The lift house always has a big
clock glaring at you...

Koos van den Hout January 22nd 07 03:28 PM

Telling time on the slopes

wrote in . com:
Department of trivialities: Those of you who like to keep track of the
time when you're on the slopes -- how do you do it?

GSM in a snowboard jacket pocket which is accessible with gloves. I might
get a call anyway, and it tells time too.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout Homepage:
http://idefix.net/~koos/

GoHabsGo January 22nd 07 03:57 PM

Telling time on the slopes

When the lift closes, it's time to go :)

lal_truckee January 22nd 07 05:15 PM

Telling time on the slopes

wrote:
Department of trivialities: Those of you who like to keep track of the
time when you're on the slopes -- how do you do it?

Look at the sun in the morning, figure out it's path across the ski for
the day and estimate degrees movement - at arms length is about a
degree, fist is about 10 degrees. You can tell the time to within 15min
with next to no practice, considerably better when you've practiced.

Come on, you guys - people managed to survive for millions of years
before the advent of railroad watches - it's easy and fun: surprise your
friends.

Walt January 22nd 07 05:30 PM

Telling time on the slopes

lal_truckee wrote:
wrote:

Department of trivialities: Those of you who like to keep track of the
time when you're on the slopes -- how do you do it?

Look at the sun in the morning..

Sun? What is this "sun" thing of which you speak?

//Walt
//
//Flat Light R Us

Neil Gendzwill January 22nd 07 05:35 PM

Telling time on the slopes

I just wear a watch under my glove. Plenty of time on the lift to peel
back the gauntlet and look at the time.

Neil

[email protected] January 22nd 07 05:53 PM

Telling time on the slopes

Bullfinch wrote:
I check the time as I board the lift. The lift house always has a big
clock glaring at you...

I don't remember seeing one around here, but maybe I haven't been
paying attention. :) Will look more carefully next time.

Joe Ramirez

[email protected] January 22nd 07 05:54 PM

Telling time on the slopes

GoHabsGo wrote:
When the lift closes, it's time to go :)

I've employed this useful system on occasion, particularly for night
sessions. :) Yesterday, however, my son had a basketball game
scheduled for the evening and kept asking me what time it was so we
would be sure to leave early enough.

Joe Ramirez

[email protected] January 22nd 07 05:57 PM

Telling time on the slopes

Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
wrote:

Department of trivialities: Those of you who like to keep track of the
time when you're on the slopes -- how do you do it?

Look at the sun in the morning..

Sun? What is this "sun" thing of which you speak?

Yesterday, not only was there no sun here, but with the snow gun
blowing away at the top of the lift hill, there wasn't even any *sky*.
:)

Joe Ramirez