SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hand injury due to straps in first RS outing... rats... (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=13870)

[email protected] September 28th 06 12:27 PM

Hand injury due to straps in first RS outing... rats...

I went skate-RSing for a half hour for the first time this season a
couple days ago. Carbon poles. Swix cork grips and SR2001 straps.

It's been hard for me to pick things up ever since---I feel a strain in
and between the first and second first-knuckles (where fingers leave
hand).

I was kind of energetic. It was great to get out there!

I notice that I fairly often get hand/joint/tendon strains from skiing.
Is it inevitable with all that hammering on the hands in straps? Do
folks just try different set-ups til they find one that works? Are some
set-ups known to be great on hands?

--JP

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz September 29th 06 01:45 PM

wrote:
I notice that I fairly often get hand/joint/tendon strains from skiing.
Is it inevitable with all that hammering on the hands in straps? Do
folks just try different set-ups til they find one that works? Are some
set-ups known to be great on hands?

--JP

I have hand problems too. Try hanging onto the pole tighter so the hand
doesn't fold over itself. Also, I think the tendons/ligaments will get
used to poling if you don't overdo it when you start out.

Jay

[email protected] October 2nd 06 11:21 PM

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
wrote:
I notice that I fairly often get hand/joint/tendon strains from skiing.
Is it inevitable with all that hammering on the hands in straps? Do
folks just try different set-ups til they find one that works? Are some
set-ups known to be great on hands?

--JP

I have hand problems too. Try hanging onto the pole tighter so the hand
doesn't fold over itself. Also, I think the tendons/ligaments will get
used to poling if you don't overdo it when you start out.

Jay

Do what I do... Don't rollerski that much...

J Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

[email protected] October 3rd 06 12:08 AM

Hand injury due to straps in first RS outing... rats...

Maybe some hand stretches will help: 1) Bend hand back with other and
hold; 2) Bend hand back by pulling thumb back with opposite thumb;
3) Bend affected fingers back one by one using opposite thumb in the
crook of the finger.

RM