SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   European school hols next week? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=7992)

Greg Hilton February 1st 05 09:03 AM

European school hols next week?

Morning all,

I'm toying with an end of week 3 day ski trip to Chamonix next week,
arriving Wed night the 9th, leaving Sat night the 12th.

I know it's half term for the schools here in Leeds, but wondered if any
other European countries were on holiday, and thus how busy Chamonix would
be?

regards,

greg

Marinus February 1st 05 11:02 AM

I know it's half term for the schools here in Leeds, but wondered if any
other European countries were on holiday, and thus how busy Chamonix would
be?

Netherlands (southern part) will start next week as well, nothern part will
be the week after. On saturday the 6th you can expect huge traffic jams in
the southern part of Germany, around Munich and some parts in Austria.
Donnow about France....

Marinus

Rob February 1st 05 11:28 AM

Pretty sure part of France will be as well - think they do a rotational type
thing so you will get one part on hoilday.

In summary it will be very busy I suspect with the recent good conditions
you will get much more last minute visitors as well

John Ricketts February 1st 05 02:47 PM

Yep, week up to 12th is 2nd week of french zone A I think. I was in Chamonix
from 5th to 12th last year and it was moderately busy but not frantic. This
year, I'll be there 12th to 20th and it WILL be frantic!

John Ricketts February 1st 05 02:51 PM

BTW, forgot to say, I just checked 10 day weather forecast, and it shows
snow more on than off right through to 10th Feb. It would be kind of nice if
it stopped then as I'm driving down o/night on the 11th/12th!

Nick Hounsome February 1st 05 03:24 PM

Here as a beautiful coloured calendar showing how it is impossible to avoid
all school holidays anytime you might actually want to ski.
http://www.ski-lesarcs.com/fr/infos/...calendrier.php
It seems simplest just to avoid the UK holdiays as they are the ones that
affect pricing.

Greg Hilton February 1st 05 07:18 PM

"Rob" wrote in
:

IMO thats near perfect definatly not :( - a litte just before you
arrive then decent weather to enjoy it. After the fecent snowfalls
there will be more than enough snow around

Aye, but I'm greedy, want some untracked stuff :D

cheers,

greg

Rob February 1st 05 09:37 PM

We found some when we went to Val T the week the big dump began, no decent
snow for 3 week and we still found a few untracked bits :)
You should definatly be able to find some at the moment

John Ricketts February 2nd 05 08:37 PM

Snow-forecast not always reliable in the mountains (as we know)...here's the
link to the Chamonet snow report from yesterday! seems like they got a
decent dump o/night on 1st!

http://www.chamonet.com/snow_report....now_report=745