SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cold protection in Norway (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=14488)

Gabstar December 17th 06 06:41 PM

Cold protection in Norway

Hi guys, I'm heading out to Geilo in Norway for a week at the end of
January. Last year in Sweden we met a guy who said when he'd been in
Norway a couple of years earlier, he'd got the first signs of frostbite
on his nose, and ended up wearing a neoprene face mask for the rest of
the trip.

I was wondering if this was an extreme case, or if we should get kitted
out with face masks and extra layers before we go?

Thanks.

Robert Simpson December 23rd 06 03:41 PM

Cold protection in Norway

"Gabstar" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi guys, I'm heading out to Geilo in Norway for a week at the end of
January. Last year in Sweden we met a guy who said when he'd been in
Norway a couple of years earlier, he'd got the first signs of frostbite
on his nose, and ended up wearing a neoprene face mask for the rest of
the trip.

I was wondering if this was an extreme case, or if we should get kitted
out with face masks and extra layers before we go?

Thanks.

Having spent New Year in Lapland a few years ago I would definitely
recommend a face mask. Temperatures often get down to -30C, sometimes
quite a bit below and any exposed skin will be at risk of frost bite.
Usually it starts to get painful before any damage is done but you
can't always rely on that.

The trick for really cold weather is lots of thin layers. You don't
actually need that much bulk. Stick to synthetic materials (no cotton).
Also make sure your boots are not too tight as it's very easy to cut
the blood flow.

Rob.