SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Back country boarding in New England .. I had some fun today (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=17229)

[email protected] February 17th 08 07:34 PM

Back country boarding in New England .. I had some fun today

I have been surfing for many years and recently took up snowboarding.
I have a book on backcountry snowboarding, but I just found this trail
in the white mountains which is actually a snowmobile trail, but I
also have a pair of snowshoes. I noticed there are other trails for me
to explore in this same area that are about the same width that
snowmobilers aren't allowed to use. So I walked in about 3 miles or so
on this snowmobile trail and snowboarded all the way out. The trail
was about 12 feet wide and I didn't wear a helmet so I could hear
approaching snowmobiles more easily. It was rather fun. I just
happened to find this trail, it's not mentioned in the book. I liked
the quiet and solitude (except for a few snowmobiles) compared to ski
areas. I'm curious if anyone else knows of some good places or how to
find them ? Anywhere from Adirondaks to New England, though NH is
closest to me. I enjoyed this a good deal more than I would have
imagined, there's something about it that I don't get from ski areas
with lifts.

My first attempt at back country boarding was not too much fun, the
book I have is 10 years old. I tried going up mount Garefield trail,
but it had become all overgrown with shrubs which meant it was know
about 5 feet wide instead of the 10 feet mentioned in the book.

Switters February 18th 08 12:44 PM

Back country boarding in New England .. I had some fun today

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:34:37 GMT, "
allegedly wrote:

So I walked in about 3 miles or so
on this snowmobile trail and snowboarded all the way out. The trail
was about 12 feet wide and I didn't wear a helmet so I could hear
approaching snowmobiles more easily. It was rather fun. I just
happened to find this trail, it's not mentioned in the book. I liked
the quiet and solitude (except for a few snowmobiles) compared to ski
areas.

I don't have any advice on trails for you, but if you don't have any
training in back country travel or avalanche awareness, then could I
suggest that you get some.

Riding and hiking in the back country takes on a whole new set of risks
that just don't factor in when your riding the local ski hill.

Sounds like you had a great time. With the right training and some like
minded friends, you should have many more.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/

Bob F February 18th 08 06:30 PM

Back country boarding in New England .. I had some fun today

"Switters" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:34:37 GMT, "
allegedly wrote:

So I walked in about 3 miles or so
on this snowmobile trail and snowboarded all the way out. The trail
was about 12 feet wide and I didn't wear a helmet so I could hear
approaching snowmobiles more easily. It was rather fun. I just
happened to find this trail, it's not mentioned in the book. I liked
the quiet and solitude (except for a few snowmobiles) compared to ski
areas.

I don't have any advice on trails for you, but if you don't have any
training in back country travel or avalanche awareness, then could I
suggest that you get some.

Riding and hiking in the back country takes on a whole new set of risks
that just don't factor in when your riding the local ski hill.

Sounds like you had a great time. With the right training and some like
minded friends, you should have many more.

I should add - Check out hiking/climbing organizations. They may have both
classes as mentioned above, and trips you can go on to learn the ropes and meet
likminded friends.

Bob