SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   many more books about XC skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=2224)

Ken Roberts August 8th 03 01:21 PM

many more books about XC skiing

Inspired by looking for an old book on skating mentioned on this newsgroup,
I found this giant list of books on Amazon:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16692/

Amazon somehow dug out more books (almost 300?) about cross-country skiing
than I ever imagined:
-- "how to" manuals back in the 1970's
.. (at least one in the 60's).
-- trail guides to any region.
-- physiology and sports medicine of XC skiing

and mo
-- the "official cross-country method of the German Ski School"
-- Zen
-- The Pleasures

But the must-have on the list for me is "Cross-Country Cat", by Mary
Calhoun. The cover illustration shows a siamese cat skiing Classic
technique using a tree-branch as a pole, and displaying excellent "forward
fall". For ages 4-8, about a cat named Henry who goes out on skis. (William
Morrow, 1979)

A more sophisticated children's book with XC ski pictures which Amazon
missed: "Don't Call Me Little Bunny", by Gregoire Solotareff (translated
from French, Farrar Strauss Giroux, 1988)

Ken