SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   More Start Grip Tape report: slips above 35F (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=19659)

jeff potter January 14th 10 07:54 PM

More Start Grip Tape report: slips above 35F

I tried the tape last winter and liked it. But I guess I didn't try it
on a warm day.

Today I tried it when it was, like, 34-35F and it had NO GRIP at all!
Rats!

I was thinking it would be great for long ski-tour days when I start
at cold below freezing and end up in the sunny warm afternoon. But it
looks like NO. I mean, from what I read it might hang in there until
JUST that 34 mark. But who wants to worry about that?

I'm also noticing the remarks about the Rex Tape -- they have a warm
and cold. I wonder if that's better.

I might do a big day this weekend. It'll be icy and start at, like,
25F and end at 35F.

--JP

Spunout January 14th 10 08:45 PM

More Start Grip Tape report: slips above 35F

I might do a big day this weekend. It'll be icy and start at, like,
25F and end at 35F.

--JP

Try one strip of each on each side of your grip zone. (?)

Bob Schwartz[_2_] January 17th 10 05:43 AM

jeff potter wrote:
I tried the tape last winter and liked it. But I guess I didn't try it
on a warm day.

Today I tried it when it was, like, 34-35F and it had NO GRIP at all!
Rats!

I was thinking it would be great for long ski-tour days when I start
at cold below freezing and end up in the sunny warm afternoon. But it
looks like NO. I mean, from what I read it might hang in there until
JUST that 34 mark. But who wants to worry about that?

I'm also noticing the remarks about the Rex Tape -- they have a warm
and cold. I wonder if that's better.

I might do a big day this weekend. It'll be icy and start at, like,
25F and end at 35F.

--JP

People have claimed that it works at the upper end of the
listed range. Never has for me though.

It was warm today (5C/41F)and I had the chance to try the
Toko klister spray. It worked OK, and much better than the
Start tape. It didn't work well enough to forgive poor
technique, I had troubles slipping when my weight transfer
wasn't good. But it was acceptable and was less sensitive
than I was expecting to crossing sun/shade boundaries.

It was still above freezing when the sun went down so I
didn't get to see how it worked when it was colder.

Bob Schwartz

Jon[_3_] January 25th 10 08:11 PM

On Jan 14, 2:54*pm, jeff potter wrote:
I tried the tape last winter and liked it. But I guess I didn't try it
on a warm day.

Today I tried it when it was, like, 34-35F and it had NO GRIP at all!
Rats!

I've been having great luck with it on manmade snow, but had opposite
problem--way too much grip when it warmed up to 31 with a strong sun
on the tracks. Still like it better than the alternatives though for
wierd conditions...

Gunde January 26th 10 03:55 AM

On Jan 14, 12:54*pm, jeff potter wrote:
I tried the tape last winter and liked it. But I guess I didn't try it
on a warm day.

Today I tried it when it was, like, 34-35F and it had NO GRIP at all!
Rats!

I was thinking it would be great for long ski-tour days when I start
at cold below freezing and end up in the sunny warm afternoon. But it
looks like NO. I mean, from what I read it might hang in there until
JUST that 34 mark. But who wants to worry about that?

I'm also noticing the remarks about the Rex Tape -- they have a warm
and cold. I wonder if that's better.

I might do a big day this weekend. It'll be icy and start at, like,
25F and end at 35F.

--JP

Here is western Colorado on cold dry snow, Start grip tape was way too
grippy. And when it warmed up above freezing, it was way to not
grippy. I finally gave up on that product. If it is difficult waxing,
I use my fishscales.

Ed Miller December 29th 10 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff potter (Post 141631)
I tried the tape last winter and liked it. But I guess I didn't try it
on a warm day.

Today I tried it when it was, like, 34-35F and it had NO GRIP at all!
Rats!

I was thinking it would be great for long ski-tour days when I start
at cold below freezing and end up in the sunny warm afternoon. But it
looks like NO. I mean, from what I read it might hang in there until
JUST that 34 mark. But who wants to worry about that?

I'm also noticing the remarks about the Rex Tape -- they have a warm
and cold. I wonder if that's better.

I might do a big day this weekend. It'll be icy and start at, like,
25F and end at 35F.

--JP

I have tried this and found it too hard to apply and get it perfectly straight along line of ski. Also parts of it came out a bit lumpy/clumpy. Had to cool it and cork it out some to smooth it out. I also noticed losing the grip after about 34-35 degrees F on a light new snow day in Idaho. Maybe after applying-using this product 3 or 4 times I could get a primo applic. but I don't have time to mess around. Maybe I will try the spray on waxes and clisters next.