SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   metal scrapper and fibertex. How to ? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=7678)

[email protected] January 19th 05 02:48 PM

metal scrapper and fibertex. How to ?

I've read many many many times. "Don't use a metal scrapper on the base
if you don't know how to." But, so far, I've never read anything on how
to use it...

I've read once (was it from zach ?) that some fibertex can actually
create hair instead of removing it. What is the minimum magnifying
lense to use to check that ? and which fibertex is the good one ?

So, in fact the question is : What is the best way to manually remove
hairs from the base ?

Rob Bradlee January 19th 05 03:25 PM

Use an Omni-prep pad from www.jenex.com (or your local ski shop) to
polish off hairs.

Hire Zach to teach you to metal scrape : (Only needed for flattening,
not to remove hairs).

Rob Bradlee

--- wrote:

I've read many many many times. "Don't use a metal scrapper on the
base
if you don't know how to." But, so far, I've never read anything on
how
to use it...

I've read once (was it from zach ?) that some fibertex can actually
create hair instead of removing it. What is the minimum magnifying
lense to use to check that ? and which fibertex is the good one ?

So, in fact the question is : What is the best way to manually remove
hairs from the base ?

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

[email protected] January 21st 05 12:43 PM

Thanks.

Omni-prep is a Jenex product or a Star product ?
I've never seen any arround here in France.

Rob Bradlee January 21st 05 01:08 PM

It's a Jenex product. All those polishing pads are made by 3M
corporation (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing). Len Johnson, owner
of Jenex, just went to 3M and worked with them to make a polishing pad
that took off hairs without adding new ones.

Perhaps you can become the French distributor :

Rob Bradlee

[email protected] January 21st 05 02:05 PM

Rob Bradlee wrote:
It's a Jenex product. All those polishing pads are made by 3M
corporation (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing). Len Johnson, owner
of Jenex, just went to 3M and worked with them to make a polishing

pad
that took off hairs without adding new ones.

I just can't imagine other big companies in the waxing business (Toko,
Swix, Briko) going to 3M and asking for a product that would took off
and ADD hairs ;-)

Jenex, who is known to be in the Rollerskis business, having better
waxing tools than real waxs companies ? Sounds a bit strange, doesn't
it ?

Len Johnson is a real close friend of the head of 3M, or what ?

(Wow, the new Google Group interface posts much quicker than before)

Rob Bradlee January 21st 05 03:56 PM

--- wrote:

I just can't imagine other big companies in the waxing business
(Toko,
Swix, Briko) going to 3M and asking for a product that would took off
and ADD hairs ;-)

No, but they might just take what has already been produced for other
reasons like scrubbing pots and pans (Scotchbrite).
And making products that add hairs? Sure, think of steel brush, brass
brush - they serve other purposes, but they can definitely add hairs.
Especially if you look with a microscope.

Jenex, who is known to be in the Rollerskis business, having better
waxing tools than real waxs companies ? Sounds a bit strange, doesn't
it ?

No, it is run by an engineer who is also a very experienced ski racer.
He saw a missing product and created the solution.

Len Johnson is a real close friend of the head of 3M, or what ?

No, but he used to own and run a huge aluminum forming company so he
knows how to do business with the big boys. YOu could do the same.

He's a great innovator and understands how to develop a new product.

Rob Bradlee