SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cervinia, lift accident last week? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=18418)

Steve Pardoe March 3rd 09 07:46 PM

Cervinia, lift accident last week?

Hi,

We were in Cervinia last week and saw a heli-evac right by the Plan Maison
chairlift (about Thursday IIRC). We were told that a man (thought to be a
Brit) and his child had fallen from the chair onto hard-packed piste,
receiving serious injuries, after a gust caught their chair. The lift and
the two above were closed all next day.

I hope it wasn't someone from r.s.r.e, does anyone here have any further
details?

Steve P

Colin Irvine[_4_] March 3rd 09 10:03 PM

Cervinia, lift accident last week?

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:46:34 -0000, Steve Pardoe squeezed out the
following:

Hi,

We were in Cervinia last week and saw a heli-evac right by the Plan Maison
chairlift (about Thursday IIRC). We were told that a man (thought to be a
Brit) and his child had fallen from the chair onto hard-packed piste,
receiving serious injuries, after a gust caught their chair.

I wonder if they'd lifted the safety bar too early - which most people
do.

I didn't like the sound of the chairlift accident in the Sierra Nevada
either.

--
Colin Irvine

Steve Pardoe March 4th 09 09:28 AM

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:46:34 -0000, Steve Pardoe squeezed out the
following:

Hi,

We were in Cervinia last week and saw a heli-evac right by the Plan Maison
chairlift (about Thursday IIRC). We were told that a man (thought to be a
Brit) and his child had fallen from the chair onto hard-packed piste,
receiving serious injuries, after a gust caught their chair.

I wonder if they'd lifted the safety bar too early...

The incident seemed to be between the get-on and the first pylon, so it's
more likely that they hadn't got it down quickly enough.

- which most people
do.

I agree, it really irritates me when co-travellers raise the bar too soon.
It's not a bad idea to make sure ski/board are off the rests in good time,
but the bar can wait.

I didn't like the sound of the chairlift accident in the Sierra Nevada
either.

A friend who goes there quite a lot sent me this link,

http://www.sierranevadaski.com/Comun...sicion100=3694

Steve P

Alun Evans March 13th 09 05:00 PM

On Wed 04 Mar '09 at 02:28 "Steve Pardoe" wrote:
I agree, it really irritates me when co-travellers raise the bar too soon.
It's not a bad idea to make sure ski/board are off the rests in good time,
but the bar can wait.

You wouldn't like it over in Tahoe, no-one ever puts the bar down, and
looks at you like you're insane when you want to. I've taken to always
putting my hand round the back of the chair.

I remember being on some high-speed detachable chair in Les2Alpes
which did an emergency stop, we were in the middle of a span, and the
momentum nearly caused us to first hit the ground, then as it sprang
up, my thighs hit the underside of the bar - it's there for a reason!

A.

--
Alun Evans

Eugene Miya March 13th 09 11:45 PM

Cervinia, lift accident last week?

In article ,
Alun Evans wrote:
On Wed 04 Mar '09 at 02:28 "Steve Pardoe" wrote:
I agree, it really irritates me when co-travellers raise the bar too soon.

You wouldn't like it over in Tahoe, no-one ever puts the bar down, and

Hey, Tahoe isn't Europe.
It's more like 2/3:1/3 on bars.

putting my hand round the back of the chair.

Depends on center pole (most not Tahoe but other favored snow resorts)
or side poles.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).