SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Has anyone tried snowkiting? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=6437)

UalbertaStudent November 17th 04 09:11 PM

Has anyone tried snowkiting?

I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Waco Paco November 17th 04 09:40 PM

UalbertaStudent wrote:
I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

I can't see why the kite equipment would be different (obviously you use
a snowboard). I've seen this done in person as I was driving to Lake
Louise from banff last feb, and his equipment looked like the other
kiteboarders' in and around Toronto. I guess you'll just need to
readjust the harness to fit around your shell.

-stu

Dmitry November 17th 04 09:51 PM

"UalbertaStudent" wrote

I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Foil kites are preferable for snowkiting (like B-series slingers), but LEI
kites work fine too. I haven't tried it yet, but looks like this year things
are coming together much better than last year so hopes are high.

cupra November 18th 04 08:16 AM

UalbertaStudent wrote:
I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Planning to buy one to take on my next trip....

David Brown November 18th 04 08:40 AM

I've taken a few of my kites with me when I've been snowboarding but never
found an open flat area to play on, bloody mountains and ski lifts get in
the way ;o)
Definately will be trying if we get snow in the UK this year.
--
kitemap
http://kitemap.co.uk

toddjb November 22nd 04 02:45 PM

(UalbertaStudent) wrote in message om...
I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Check out
http://www.kiteforum.com/

They have a snowkiting forum and can likely answer all your questions,
-todd

(started kiteboarding this year as well. I'll probably start
"snowkiting" by taking my 3M trainer out on a windy day. It can pull
me around a wet field on my ass so it should be enough to give
snowkiting a first try.)