SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good ol' days of XC skiing in Finland (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=2496)

shreddir November 1st 03 04:34 AM

Good ol' days of XC skiing in Finland

Check out this 1953 ski school b/w film short. This is what people used to
do before the days of cable tv and lycra uniforms. Kind of nostalgic. All
you old Sierra Clubbers at Claire Tappan lodge will probably relate.
http://www.vuokattisport.fi/fin/video/video.htm

Mickey D. November 1st 03 03:54 PM

Good ol' days of XC skiing in Finland

Geez, that's a classic - great video. Did you notice that one of the credits
on the film is the great runner, Paavo Nurmi? Some still say he may have
been the greatest of all time - compared to the rest of the world at that
time, may be true.

shreddir November 2nd 03 09:32 AM

Good ol' days of XC skiing in Finland

I did see that name but I couldn't figure out whether he was one of the
producers or making a cameo appearance. I figured somebody else in Finland
had the same name, because I don't remember hearing him doing film
production. Maybe somebody in this group from Finland knows the answer?

Anders Lustig November 3rd 03 01:05 PM

"Mickey D." wrote in message ...

Geez, that's a classic - great video. Did you notice that one of the credits
on the film is the great runner, Paavo Nurmi?

He is the voice-over narrator. He did that in maybe five
films - one or two of which had no sports related content
whatsoever - in the 1950īs, IIRC.

He wasnīt a keen skier, though. He came from Turku on the
south-western coast, the "snow-poorest" area in Finland
(apart from the archipelago, of course).

However, the story has it that his lack of ethusiasm - he
was strongly against skiing as a cross-training in winter;
he did long walks instead - had something to due with how
badly he did in a skiing race he participated in as a young
lad:)

Anders