SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   News Reader services (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=3029)

Dave Kiely January 21st 04 03:49 PM

News Reader services

I just learned that the ISP that I use to read this group is going to drop
their newsreader service. Any ideas of good and low or no cost services? I
know I can use google and have in the past but it is not as easy to use as a
service through my outlook. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave
getting more and more snow in the UP! Noque course should be great although
on the cold side.

Gene Goldenfeld January 21st 04 04:41 PM

News Reader services

You didn't say dialup or dsl/cable. For dialup, look at Highstream.net
for $8.99/month. They've been around awhile nationally, are stable,
have lots of access numbers, and "all" the newsgroups via usenet.

Gene

Griss January 21st 04 08:26 PM

News Reader services

Dave Kiely wrote:

I just learned that the ISP that I use to read this group is going to

drop
their newsreader service. Any ideas of good and low or no cost

services? I
know I can use google and have in the past but it is not as easy to use

as a
service through my outlook. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you're keeping the ISP and just needing a non-google news
server to use. I've been using news.cis.dfn.de for about a year now and it
works great. It's free.

Do a www search and you'll find their web page with instructions on how to
sign up and configure OE to use it. Essentially, what you do is configure
OE replacing references to your old ISP newsserver, username, password, etc.
to new ones involving news.cis.dfn.de. It's easy.

Grissy

Griss January 21st 04 08:37 PM

News Reader services

me:

I'm assuming you're keeping the ISP and just needing a non-google news
server to use. I've been using news.cis.dfn.de for about a year now and

it
works great. It's free.

Do a www search and you'll find their web page with instructions on how

sign up and configure OE to use it. Essentially, what you do is

configure
OE replacing references to your old ISP newsserver, username, password,

etc.
to new ones involving news.cis.dfn.de. It's easy.

george cleveland:

Thats what I use. No problems in almost 3 years. It works well with
FreeAgent as a reader that you can download from Agent.com.

Ah, thanks for bringing up FreeAgent. I was using it for a while a few
years ago and really liked it (once I got used to it). Then I quit using it
for a while for some reason - I think I must have gotten a new computer and
never bothered to download it. Anyway, thanks for the reminder, I think
I'll give it a go again.
Grissy

George Cleveland January 21st 04 10:07 PM

News Reader services

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:37:06 -0900, "Griss" wrote:

me:

[...]

Yep. The only problem is I gave you the wrong address. Nix the Agent.com.
The real address is:

forteinc.com

Sorry.

g.c.

taywood January 22nd 04 11:29 PM

News Reader services

Griss wrote:

I'm assuming you're keeping the ISP and just needing a non-google news
server to use. I've been using news.cis.dfn.de for about a year now
and it works great. It's free.

Me too, in England, and its an excellent service.
Its now titled news.individual.net and its based at Berlin.
Mike

Hank Garretson January 25th 04 02:51 AM

News Reader services

At 08:21 21 01 04 Wednesday, Dave Kiely wrote:

I just learned that the ISP that I use to read this group is going to drop
their newsreader service. Any ideas of good and low or no cost services? I
know I can use google and have in the past but it is not as easy to use as a
service through my outlook. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have been waiting for Ken Salsberg to respond, but he must be out
skiing. Ken provides a sevice that allows one to receive from and post to
RSN via email. To subscribe, send an email to

no subject

body says

subscribe nordic-ski Your Name

Additional information can be found at