SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wanted: fullgrain leather glove with terry back, semi-insulated (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=12935)

[email protected] March 8th 06 02:44 PM

Wanted: fullgrain leather glove with terry back, semi-insulated

I'm looking for a glove that's semi-insulated with fullgrain leather
palm and XC reinforcement areas and terrycloth back. Ideally non-black.
Like a glove I had, oh, 5-10 years ago and haven't seen since, of
course. Full-grain leather is shiny and breaks in wonderfully and
resists water and LASTS a long time.

Any leads?

I just bought a pair of fairly thin Rossi semi-tour xc gloves. The
snot-factor back is good but the synthetic suede palm scares me
already---a drop of water soaks in instantly and spreads. Gulp!

--JP

jgs March 8th 06 02:52 PM

Jeff,
Have a look at Pearl Izumi. I love the leather palms on the gloves they
make..
http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=775

/john

Camilo March 8th 06 04:43 PM

wrote:
I'm looking for a glove that's semi-insulated with fullgrain leather
palm and XC reinforcement areas and terrycloth back. Ideally non-black.
Like a glove I had, oh, 5-10 years ago and haven't seen since, of
course. Full-grain leather is shiny and breaks in wonderfully and
resists water and LASTS a long time.

Any leads?

I just bought a pair of fairly thin Rossi semi-tour xc gloves. The
snot-factor back is good but the synthetic suede palm scares me
already---a drop of water soaks in instantly and spreads. Gulp!

--JP

You probably already checked there - but I bought a pair of "winter"
biking gloves from Performance a long time ago - pretty much as you
described - smooth (I'll assume full grain) leather palms, terry
backing. They werent' for XC, but worked OK. Now I use windstopper
Toko gloves and they're pretty tough and good... and $$$.

John Forrest Tomlinson March 8th 06 10:08 PM

On 8 Mar 2006 14:10:02 -0800, wrote:

Does maybe all "fake suede"
absorb water like crazy making for bad gloves?

Offhand the performance of the pair I just bought around water seem to
make them TERRIBLE.

Who would design or buy a ski glove that has a palm that WICKS UP
WATER? Touch a bit of snow? Your hand is instantly wet! Lucky you!

I've got gloves from Sinisalo and Yoko/Toko with Clarino palms -- I
think that's a synthetic leather. And they work great in skiing.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

jgs March 8th 06 11:53 PM

Hi Jeff,
The P.I. gloves I had took six years to wear out and that includes
stacking wood in the fall and every other abuse. I finally stopped
using them becuase the knap was really down to nothing and they are
starting to come apart.
I still have them and use them as work gloves.

They may or may not be what you what but P.I. is a brand you can trust
and is always money well spent

/john