SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Early snow (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=17795)

Ian Blake[_4_] October 3rd 08 10:05 AM

Early snow

During an anything but work moment I looked at www.snoweye.com and saw a
sprinkling of snow on the ground in Tignes Lac and Avoriaz. So the snowline
seems to be 2000m in Tarentaise and 1850m in Portes du Soleil.

I expect it will melt before enough to ski is added but it still pleases me.

MadCow October 5th 08 10:22 PM

Early snow

In message , Ian Blake
writes
During an anything but work moment I looked at www.snoweye.com and saw a
sprinkling of snow on the ground in Tignes Lac and Avoriaz. So the snowline
seems to be 2000m in Tarentaise and 1850m in Portes du Soleil.

I expect it will melt before enough to ski is added but it still pleases me.

I went walking in the Dolomites last week.
On Monday it was shorts and sun cream, on Friday it snowed - which
scuppered the plan for Saturday. It looked really pretty in the
sunshine though.

BTW have you ever wondered why there are always cowpats under the snow?
The locals were industriously spreading all their piled-up manure on the
pistes!

--
Sue ]:(:)

Pip Luscher[_3_] October 6th 08 07:41 PM

Early snow

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 23:22:21 +0100, MadCow wrote:

In message , Ian Blake
writes
During an anything but work moment I looked at www.snoweye.com and saw a
sprinkling of snow on the ground in Tignes Lac and Avoriaz. So the snowline
seems to be 2000m in Tarentaise and 1850m in Portes du Soleil.

I expect it will melt before enough to ski is added but it still pleases me.

I went walking in the Dolomites last week.
On Monday it was shorts and sun cream, on Friday it snowed - which
scuppered the plan for Saturday. It looked really pretty in the
sunshine though.

BTW have you ever wondered why there are always cowpats under the snow?
The locals were industriously spreading all their piled-up manure on the
pistes!

I suppose that if the snow cover's a bit thin, you've still got
something to slide on...

--
-Pip

john elgy October 6th 08 11:26 PM

Early snow

MadCow wrote:
In message , Ian Blake
writes

During an anything but work moment I looked at www.snoweye.com and saw a
sprinkling of snow on the ground in Tignes Lac and Avoriaz. So the
snowline
seems to be 2000m in Tarentaise and 1850m in Portes du Soleil.

I expect it will melt before enough to ski is added but it still
pleases me.

I went walking in the Dolomites last week.
On Monday it was shorts and sun cream, on Friday it snowed - which
scuppered the plan for Saturday. It looked really pretty in the
sunshine though.

BTW have you ever wondered why there are always cowpats under the snow?
The locals were industriously spreading all their piled-up manure on the
pistes!

Um! why does someone called "MadCow" show interest in the spreading of
manure on the pistes? And I must admit I never wondered about cowpats
under the snow.

In a rather garbled message a friend in Grenoble informed that the snow
level was down to 1000m last Friday, but melted quickly.