SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cross Country Skiing - where to go? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=2584)

Alan November 20th 03 12:28 PM

Cross Country Skiing - where to go?

I'm going to be travelling around Europe in late Jan 04. I'm a fairly
experienced downhill skier and I'll be doing some downhill skiing in
one or more of France/Austria/Switzerland/Italy. However I would also
like to try cross-country since I've never done it before.

Can anyone recommend a resort which would be suitable for
cross-country skiing? Would be looking for a good choice of trails,
nothing too strenuous (first-timer!) + nice scenery + ability to hire
skis, boots, poles etc.

I will have my own car, if that helps.

The above mentioned countries would be ok, also what about the Czech
Republic? Towards the end of my trip I will be driving to Prague so a
couple of days in a Czech resort would be an interesting idea. I
understand cross-country skiing is quite popular there but I would
have no idea where to go.

Thanks very much,

Alan.

taywood November 20th 03 02:48 PM

Cross Country Skiing - where to go?

"Alan" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to be travelling around Europe in late Jan 04. I'm a fairly
experienced downhill skier and I'll be doing some downhill skiing in
one or more of France/Austria/Switzerland/Italy. However I would also
like to try cross-country since I've never done it before.

Thats a pretty big area to cover.
My first suggestion would be Seefeld in Austria.
Big touring area and ideal for beginners with plenty of DH in
close proximity.
Second would be East Bayern (Bavaria) in Germany.
From Deggendorf the road goes east over to Bohemia and
then on to Prague.
I can recommend Bodenmais and Zweissl, both places where the
British Army used to go for XC ski racetraining and recreation.
Mike

sknyski November 20th 03 07:21 PM

Cross Country Skiing - where to go?

There are a bazillion places to ski in those countries. I've been to
Davos, St Moritz, Ramsau, Seefeld (near Innsbruk) and a few others.
Any of those should have what you need. Ramsau is in Austria, an hour
or so east of Innsbruk and at the base of the Dachstein. That's my
choice.

As far as skiing in "Czechie", I'd pass. I know that they havr some
places north of Prague, but I'd opt for more developed areas of Europe
if it is your first time.

bt