SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (moderated) (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Technical (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=14443)

Mike December 12th 06 02:10 AM

Technical

I taped the Turin DH from the '06 Olympics and I thought I noticed something
odd in studying it. Viz., that the skiers who were going fastest at the
last check tended to finish further back in the pack. Here are the results:

Fra Deneriaz 113.2kph 148.80sec
Aut Walchofer 114.3 +.70
Sui Kernan - 1.02
Nor Aamodt 115.7 1.08
Usa Miller 111.9 1.13
Usa Ralves 112.4 1.53
Usa McCartney 116.6 1.88

Table-

mc
116 a

115

114 w

113 d
112 m

111
148 149 150 151

You'd think there would be a line from the 116 to 151; iow the faster the
pace the better the time. But there is no correlation; in fact there
appears to be the opposite conclusion. So what does that say? The lower
skiers are not skiing the right line. You could ski from Turin to Chamonix
at Mach 1 but your still going to have a worse time.

So you have to balance raw speed and the quickest route between point A and
B. If you go too fast you're going to torque yourself out of the best line
(or worse, you might wipe out). But if the best speed is not the fastest,
then how do you pick the optimal? Do you think racers ever know they skied
the best line but didn't go for it enough?

Sorry to be so pedantic, but it has been bugging me for a while.

Marty December 14th 06 11:27 PM

Technical

Mike wrote:
[...]

This is a snapshot in time. It's a long course and there are lots of
variables, including luck.
--
Marty