SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When it's not your time to die (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=20057)

Pip[_2_] March 13th 10 05:35 PM

When it's not your time to die

Domènec wrote:

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Coo, it's been a Hislop-free while. Or is it Macrae, these days?

--
Pip: B12

Domenec March 13th 10 10:29 PM

When it's not your time to die

"Pip" escribió en el mensaje de noticias
Domènec wrote:

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Coo, it's been a Hislop-free while. Or is it Macrae, these days?

Father of friend of mine, while we were skiing together.

Ace[_3_] March 13th 10 11:41 PM

When it's not your time to die

Domènec wrote:

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Coo, it's been a Hislop-free while. Or is it Macrae, these days?

Father of friend of mine, while we were skiing together.

Bummer.

BTW Ski helmets, while better perhaps than cycling ones, still aren't
much protection against severe impatct.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/

YTC#1[_2_] March 14th 10 06:58 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:45:12 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:56 GMT, "SP" wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

Wrong.

whay Champs and I agree on something :-)

Indeed, I have a few that are more akin to elestic these days -(

--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GSX250, Pegaso 650 Trail

Pip Luscher[_3_] March 21st 10 01:18 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

It didn't slide. It rolled. Snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky and by
the grace of God she still had her helmet and goggles on as her face was
being mashed into the snow on every revolution.

Must've been the worst feeling in the world, strapped in with no
control. Are one's arms even free in those things?

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Well, quite. Hundreds of Euros' worth of kit.

Seriously though, very glad it didn't end in disaster.

--
-Pip

Ace[_3_] March 21st 10 04:28 PM

When it's not your time to die

(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

It didn't slide. It rolled. Snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky and by
the grace of God she still had her helmet and goggles on as her face was
being mashed into the snow on every revolution.

Must've been the worst feeling in the world, strapped in with no
control. Are one's arms even free in those things?

No, they're strapped in. You can't move a thing.

Eugene Miya March 22nd 10 11:45 PM

When it's not your time to die

In article o.uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
anyway, so she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one
rescue bod fore and one aft. You know the things.

Stokes litter.

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Other similar Alpine horror stories exist.

An old roommate's favorite was from a long view. Said person fell and
slide a long rough way. The viewers from a distance was certain the
falling distance had killed the person. Part of the way down, the one
speck of a person separate and became two. They were certain the
climber has been cut in two.

After a few moments, one of the halves started crawling slowing to
the other half. The distant viewers could not believe this was
happening.

The 2nd dot was their pack.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

CS[_2_] April 2nd 10 06:26 PM

When it's not your time to die

ACL replacement surgery is very common these days, which usually takes
the hamstring tendon, split in half down the middle, together with the
bone it's attached to, and screws it in place of where the ligament
used to be. Tendon and ligament are effectively the same material, but
the former is in a more 'live' state which can regrow and heal,
whereas once it's stopped being pulled by muscles all the time it
stabilises into another more static state.

Our 18 month old Heinz 57 dog did an ACL running through a hedge.
After vet had operated and we got dog back, it was clear that the
"ankle" and "thigh" had been nailed to a board, JC fashion, in the mid
position whilst the ACL was rebuilt and resewn. Dog was fine and
lived another 16 years with no trace of stiffness.

[email protected] March 12th 14 07:20 PM

When it's not your time to die

Ace wrote in 2010:

BTW Ski helmets, while better perhaps than cycling ones, still aren't
much protection against severe impatct.

Chilling. I wish you were not right.