SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (moderated) (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ski length advice (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=19853)

jimzzr February 13th 10 07:56 PM

ski length advice

Hi,

I have the option of getting some new k2 sweet luv skis for the GF for 200
UKpounds. She's had a few weeks skiing (ca 5) and isn't really getting much
faster (and doesn't have the desire to - can parralel ski on easy blues but
not really carving) and so I think these or similar would OK for a few
years.

My concern is that they may be a little too short for her. She is 5'5'' and
in addition quite heavy (170lbs). Size guides I have seen suggest a 155cm
ski but these are only 149cm (3cm below nose height barefoot). Do you guys
think the 6cm will make much difference?

Any other thoughts/recommendations? And no I can't get any information from
her as to what shes tried/liked - perhaps I should have made notes.

Cheers

Jim

Bob F February 13th 10 08:45 PM

ski length advice

jimzzr wrote:
Hi,

I have the option of getting some new k2 sweet luv skis for the GF
for 200 UKpounds. She's had a few weeks skiing (ca 5) and isn't
really getting much faster (and doesn't have the desire to - can
parralel ski on easy blues but not really carving) and so I think
these or similar would OK for a few years.

My concern is that they may be a little too short for her. She is
5'5'' and in addition quite heavy (170lbs). Size guides I have seen
suggest a 155cm ski but these are only 149cm (3cm below nose height
barefoot). Do you guys think the 6cm will make much difference?

Any other thoughts/recommendations? And no I can't get any
information from her as to what shes tried/liked - perhaps I should
have made notes.

Sounds too short to me. A 115 lb woman friend of mine started on 140's (I think
they were sweet Luvs)and outgrew them her first season.

lal_truckee February 13th 10 10:10 PM

ski length advice

On 2/13/10 11:56 AM, jimzzr wrote:
Hi,

I have the option of getting some new k2 sweet luv skis for the GF for 200
UKpounds. She's had a few weeks skiing (ca 5) and isn't really getting much
faster (and doesn't have the desire to - can parralel ski on easy blues but
not really carving) and so I think these or similar would OK for a few
years.

My concern is that they may be a little too short for her. She is 5'5'' and
in addition quite heavy (170lbs). Size guides I have seen suggest a 155cm
ski but these are only 149cm (3cm below nose height barefoot). Do you guys
think the 6cm will make much difference?

Any other thoughts/recommendations? And no I can't get any information from
her as to what shes tried/liked - perhaps I should have made notes.

Those skis are already a soft ski; overpowering them will demolish any
performance they might have.

You say 200 UKPounds, which IIRC is neighborhood of $400? Your market is
certainly different than ours, but around here that would be a bit
pricey. It might save you money AND result in a more appropriate ski to
keep shopping.

But the boot advice is paramount - make sure she's fitted with her own
properly fitted boots before buying skis - boots before skis always.