SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   DSQs (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=13083)

Jim Flom March 20th 06 03:20 PM

DSQs

Checking the results of the 30k Sovereign Lake (BC) Loppet, I was surprised
to find someone DSQ in the results. In a citizens' race such as that, what
are typical ways a person might be disqualified?

Jim

cpella March 20th 06 04:25 PM

1) Skating in a classic race. I was helping to officiate a local race a
few weeks back and several people were caught skating up a hill.
2) If it is a multi-loop course - missing a loop.Quite a few were
disqualified at the Keskinada classic because weather had forced a
modification of the course and people got very confused. Last minute
changes can leave everybody confused.

Jim Flom March 20th 06 09:14 PM

"cpella" wrote in message
oups.com...
1) Skating in a classic race. I was helping to officiate a local race a
few weeks back and several people were caught skating up a hill.
2) If it is a multi-loop course - missing a loop.Quite a few were
disqualified at the Keskinada classic because weather had forced a
modification of the course and people got very confused. Last minute
changes can leave everybody confused.

I figured on the missing a loop part. So if someone is skating up a hill
they wouldn't get a warning first? I did a 10k last year and found myself
skating through a turn in front of officials without penalty. Maybe it
helped I was out of contention for a top spot...

JF

cpella March 20th 06 09:33 PM

It's ok to take a skate step around a turn - that is perfectly
acceptable. These kids were offsetting up a hill rather obviously and
one was seen one-skating on some flats. These were experienced
age-group skiers so when the chief race official discussed it with
their coaches everybody was in agreement. It's important to instill a
sense of fair play in the kids.

Bob March 20th 06 11:09 PM

"Jim Flom" wrote in message
Checking the results of the 30k Sovereign Lake (BC) Loppet, I was

surprised
to find someone DSQ in the results. In a citizens' race such as that,

what
are typical ways a person might be disqualified?

Jim

An easy way to get a DQ is to give up and cross the finish line before you
have completed the required number of laps. Another one is to violate a
finish lane at a sprint event. I've seen both.

Bob

Derick Fay March 21st 06 12:21 AM

An easy way to get a DQ is to give up and cross the finish line before you
have completed the required number of laps. Another one is to violate a
finish lane at a sprint event. I've seen both.

Bob

To draw further on your expertise, Bob, how might one (almost) get a
DNS?....

Bob March 21st 06 12:40 AM

"Derick Fay" wrote in message
oups.com...
An easy way to get a DQ is to give up and cross the finish line before

you
have completed the required number of laps. Another one is to violate a
finish lane at a sprint event. I've seen both.

Bob

To draw further on your expertise, Bob, how might one (almost) get a
DNS?....

LOL
I'm guessing he
have a baby?

I really hope it was nothing bad like a car accident or working overtime.
Bob

Derick Fay March 21st 06 12:59 AM

To draw further on your expertise, Bob, how might one (almost) get a
DNS?....

LOL
I'm guessing he
have a baby?

I really hope it was nothing bad like a car accident or working overtime.
Bob

The key word was "almost"...I was actually thinking of showing up at a
race with one of your boots and one of your wife's...

Mark Waechter March 21st 06 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flom
Checking the results of the 30k Sovereign Lake (BC) Loppet, I was surprised
to find someone DSQ in the results. In a citizens' race such as that, what
are typical ways a person might be disqualified?

Jim

________________

It's not so sinister ...

The fellow in question missed a turn and thus skied a shorter lap. He's happy to tell you that there's no way he could possibly have won by 10 minutes.

I'm happy to tell you that the DQ'd skier is a great guy, a beautiful classic skier, and was only dissappointed that the course wasn't as well marked as it could've been.

The people at SovLk do a great job, so I'm not quibbling with their efforts, either. Just trying to clear up the mystery DQ.

Jim Flom March 21st 06 04:00 AM

"Mark Waechter" wrote ...

It's not so sinister ...

The fellow in question missed a turn and thus skied a shorter lap.
He's happy to tell you that there's no way he could possibly have won
by 10 minutes.

I'm happy to tell you that the DQ'd skier is a great guy, a beautiful
classic skier, and was only dissappointed that the course wasn't as
well marked as it could've been.

The people at SovLk do a great job, so I'm not quibbling with their
efforts, either. Just trying to clear up the mystery DQ.

Certainly, and I didn't intend to imply sinister, I was just surprised to
see it and curious about different possible DQs. I could just as easily
have left out the name of the race. Didn't wish to single anyone out.

JF